It's no coincidence that the last "in-universe" Magic set of 2026 has felt like an oasis in a desert. The sets released in 2026 have been a mix of small, out of place sets for draft and pushed in-universe sets that provided unbalanced archetypes. The landscape for retail draft has been lacking depth. Now, enter Reality Fracture (FRC).
There are a few things going for FRC that stand out from the rest of the sets released this year. FRC has 10 supported archetypes(compared to 5 with most of the previous sets). Each of which has real strength and powerful un-commons to prop them up. There is color balance as well. Each color and color pair has strong cards and powerful rares that reward you for carving out your lane in the draft. Lastly, there are some interesting and unique synergies that are able to be supported and exploited. The set feels like it has room to breathe and be explored for some time. Some are even calling it an all-time great limited format. I am not 100% on board with that yet, as there are still some issues with it. However, credit to where it is certainly due here. The set feels amazing to draft.
I've been (un)lucky enough to have been fully sick and stuck at home the weekend after release. So, I have done a few more drafts online than I usually would at this point in the season. Initially, I used some of my prior limited knowledge to grab some wins, but I learned pretty quickly that there is more to building a good deck than a density of 2 drops and removal. Today, I'll be discussing what I have experienced through the first week or so. I'll be sure to call-out some quirks and traps, along with what I feel is a winning strategy in FRC.
Let me lay the groundwork.
This set is not "solved". Don't expect to be able to write off 1/3 of the cards because they are in the worst 2 colors according to 17lands data points. Each color pair and color has merit and should be leaned into if that's what is open in your seat.
The format is slower than usual. This means that you will have some time to cast higher mana-value and more impactful finishers or assemble combos.
Pressure is important, single target removal is less so.
The graveyard is a safe-space. There is no graveyard hate that is a "free" include. No soul guide lantern or tormod's crypt. The 2 mana colorless creature is a real cost to include in your deck and gets outclassed rather quickly.
You need a good reason to splash. There are a decent amount of cards that are worth it.
Today I want to expand on the 3rd point above, pressure. Pressure in a traditional sense refers to your ability to curve out with creatures and close out the game. You are able to use this to your advantage by making opponents block with key creatures, punish them for taking turns off to draw cards, and overall just limit their options in the mid to late game. For this to work in FRC, you have to take into account the presence of 2 for 1 creatures in green and blue. Arcane Amphisbaena and Mind Seeker Oculus create road blocks and card advantage that make a traditional aggro deck less viable. These cards, and other similar cards ask you to come with specific threats that out scale. Top end in FRC is much more important than a simple combat trick or removal. Cards like Ghalta that grant all your creatures trample that can attack your larger board into these value creatures and enable you to ignore these 1 toughness value creatures.
Pressure = inevitability
Pressure in the less common sense can also refer to you being able to outclass your opponent by ramping into game ending threats or bombs. Red Ajani comes to mind, Black Garruk or a myriad of bomby uncommons. If you have a way to time your interaction to grant you the time needed to set up for these game winning cards, you can go over the top of an opponent that is spinning their wheels with Jace or playing less impactful low curve creatures. Be intentional during the draft with the type of deck you are building and have a plan to enact it in the face of what your opponent may have.
Overall, I am enjoying the format and look forward to many more drafts before rotation.
No comments:
Post a Comment